This week has been dominated by rain, but that is just a normal week in Kiruna. For those few of you reading this and that will visit us during the launch campaign, bring a raincoat. If you’re lucky the weather will have transitioned to snow by then.
The project has since the last update faced several difficulties, one of the bigger one is a small misunderstanding with one of our suppliers. Unfortunately, this affected us badly, and at during this time in the project we cannot solve the issue, thus our design had to be changed. This is not something you want to happen to you a month before the planned launch. But hey, at least we get practice in crisis management.
After a bunch of mishaps during the last weeks we’re still working strong, and moving forwards. The last blog post mentioned a burned Raspberry Pi, in addition to that one of the Arduinos also broke, most likely some spike current was delivered into the USB cable, since both chips that broke was handling the USB ports for the different devices. Luckily, we managed to borrow a Raspberry Pi until a new one was delivered, so the impact on the other groups were minimal.
On the plus side, there is very little except some finetuning left for the electronics group. Some cables can be made shorter to make it easier to mount the boxes and reduce disturbances in the signals.
The bane of software has also been implemented in the system. The cameras. The decision of the cameras could have been made better, and if you’re interested in what not to choose, just ask us and we’ll let you know. To celebrate this huge step forward we will see the hackerman in his natural habitat.
This week we will all try to bring out the last energy we possess and finish up the remaining parts in the project.
Wish us luck (we need it).
Artist's rendition of the great fire September 2017. Colorized